A SINGLE CHINESE POWER COMPANY “PRODUCES MORE CO2 THAN THE WHOLE OF THE UK”.
Here are some facts to consider.
1. Huaneng Power International is a Chinese State-owned electric power company that releases 317 million metric tonnes of CO2 per year.
2. That is equivalent to the entire annual emissions of the United Kingdom, which accounts for less than 1% of global emissions.
3. China produces 31% of global CO2 emissions.
4. Huaneng Power is one of 7 Chinese giga-power companies, all of which produce more CO2 emissions annually than one or more large, fully developed sovereign states combined.
5. In September 2020, President Xi Jinping stated that China will “aim” to achieve carbon neutrality before 2060.
6. The UK, by contrast, is legally bound to completely eliminate CO2 emissions by 2050, at an estimated cost of £1.4 trillion.
How do you think this is going to pan out?